Wockhardt Hospitals Brain & Spine care wing specializes in providing Stroke Management and Post Stroke Rehabilitation services in India. Our top neurosurgeons and team of therapists work round the clock to bring world-class brain care within your reach.
When do you start rehabilitation medicine intervention after stroke?
Brain and Spine Care, Wockhardt Hospitals, IndiaRehabilitation should start immediately after a stroke, during acute admission and even at the ICU. At this stage, earlyassessment, planning, and initial management are done. Many of the clinical problems that are faced by the stroke patientsare related to the immobility and reconditioning imposed by prolonged bed rest during acute stroke care.
Once the stroke is completed (not in evolution) and the patient is medically stable, rehabilitation can be furtherprogressed.
What are the functions involved in stroke rehabilitation ?
The functions of stroke rehabilitation are as follows:
- Prevention, recognition, management of comorbid illness and concomitant medical complications.
- Training for maximal functional independence.
- Facilitating psychological coping and adaptation by the patient and family.
- Promoting community reintegration, including resumption of home, family, recreational, and vocational activities.
- Enhancing quality - of - life.
Who are the medical professionals involved in stroke rehabilitation ?
Stroke Rehabilitation is multi-disciplinary and team-based in approach.
- The Neurologist and the Physiatrist, Psychiatrists are incharge of the stroke rehab team. They initially evaluate theimpairments, disabilities, and handicap of the stroke patient, design the appropriate rehabilitation program, andcoordinate the functions of the team members. They also coordinates with other concerned medical specialists.
- The Physical Therapist (PT) helps restore the gross physical functioning and motor skills of the patient, such as walkingand joint range of motion.
- The Occupational Therapist (OT) helps the patient relearn the skills needed for everyday living such as eating, toileting,dressing and self-care. They also provide vocational training to help return the patient to his/her occupation.
- The Speech Therapist (ST) helps the patient cope with any cognitive, language, and speech problems that result from thestroke.
- The team helps both the patient and family members deal with adverse psychological effects of a stroke, such asanxiety and depression.
Where does a patient undergo stroke rehabilitation ?
Depending on the severity of the stroke, rehabilitation can take place in a rehabilitation unit in the hospital, arehabilitation center, at the outpatient department, at a facility with skilled nursing care, or even at home. The team ofdoctors will determine the most appropriate rehabilitation setting for a particular patient.
What should a stroke patient expect after the stroke and prior to the rehab in terms of recovery ?
In terms of recovery, generally about 10% of stroke survivors recover almost completely; 25% recover with minorimpairments; 40% experience moderate to severe impairments requiring special care; and 10% require care in a nursing homeor other long-term care facility.
The majority of improvements occur within the first month after the stroke. Significant improvements will continue to beseen during the next three to six months. Beyond six months, there may be some slow improvements.
What are different kinds of stroke rehabilitation exercises advised ?
The stroke patient can do any exercise except isometrics or Valsalva maneuver (which increases abdominal pressure). Theseactivities tend to increase the blood pressure which is to be avoided as much as possible in stroke patients. Isometricexercises are exercises wherein there is no change in muscle length against an opposing force or resistance. Valsalvamaneuver is forceful voluntary exertion wherein one tries to move his/her bowels.
Mild stroke patients can return to normal activities but moderate to severe stroke require careful monitoring before,during & after exercise.
When can a stroke patient return to work ?
A stroke patient should undergo disability assessment before he/she is allowed to return to work. If the stroke is mild thepatient can return to his/her usual work with the necessary precautions. In moderate stroke the patient would need a changein his/her work so vocational exploration should be done to assess what type of work he/she can shift to. In severe strokethe patient would have a difficult time returning to work and roles may have to be reversed.
The patient should have undergone rehabilitation medicine intervention (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speechtherapy & psychological counseling) and should be aware of the necessary precautions observed during work.
When can patients who had stroke have sex ?
A stroke patient can engage in sex provided that he/she
- has been cleared neurologically
- is medically stable
- has no undue signs of fatigue or breathlessness
- regularly takes his/her medications
- regularly monitors his/her vital signs especially blood pressure
- partner may be aware of the needs and difficulties that might arise during the sexual activity.
At Wockhardt, we care for your well being. We strongly recommend practicing prevention and securing health. In a worldwhere lifestyle evolves by the day, it is essential to stay in the pink of health.