2017 Theme: “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient society for all”
The day promotes the awareness about the people with disabilities as well as to encourage them by implementing a lot of assistance in their real life to enhance their way of life and remove the social stigma towards them.
What are some of the common disabilities?
There are many different kinds of disability and a wide variety of situations people experience. The disability may be permanent or temporary. It may exist from birth or be acquired later in life. People with the same disability are as likely as anyone else to have different abilities.
Some types include:
- Vision Impairment.
- Deaf or hard of hearing.
- Mental health conditions.
- Intellectual disability.
- Acquired brain injury.
- Autism spectrum disorder.
- Physical disability.
What are physical disabilities?
Physical Abilities include:
Conditions that may result in motor disabilities include spinal cord injury, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Muscular Dystrophy (MD), and Cerebral Palsy (CP). Visual Disabilities and deafness: Individuals with visual disabilities possess varying levels of sight.
What are some Mental Health Disabilities?
- ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Anxiety Disorder.
- Autism and Asperger's.
- Bipolar Disorder.
- Alcohol or Drug Addiction.
- Organic Mental Disorders (including Organic Brain Syndrome)
- Panic Attacks.
What are some guidelines in managing disabilities?
- Hearing impairments can range from mild to profound. People who are hard of hearing may use a range of strategies and equipment including speech, lip-reading, writing notes, hearing aids or sign language interpreters.
- Mental illness is a general term for a group of illnesses that affect the mind or brain. These illnesses, which include bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, anxiety and personality disorders, affect the way a person thinks, feels and acts.
- A person with a mental health condition may experience difficulty concentrating, which can sometimes be a result of medication. Try to avoid overly stressful situations wherever possible so that their condition is not exacerbated.
- Vision impairment refers to people who are blind or who have partial vision. When talking with a person who is blind or has a vision impairment always identify yourself and any others with you and ask if the person requires assistance, and listen for specific instructions, however be prepared for your offer to be refused. Whilst guiding a person, let them take your arm, rather than taking theirs. Describe any changes in the environment such as steps, obstacles, etc.
- Autism is an umbrella description which includes Autistic disorder. Autism affects the way information is taken in and stored in the brain. Following is affected verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions and other activities.
- Impairments usually exist across three main areas of functioning:
- social interaction
- communication, and
- emotional withdrawal
- Acquired brain injury (ABI) refers to any type of brain damage that occurs after birth. The injury may occur because of infection, disease, lack of oxygen or a trauma to the head. People generally experience increased fatigue (mental and physical)some slowing down in the speed with which they process information, plan and solve problems changes to their behaviour and personality, physical and sensory abilities, or thinking and learning may also have difficulty in areas such as memory, concentration and communication.
In case of more information on disabilities please contact our Neurology department and Orthopaedic department for further management.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
We are a premiere hospital in the country specializing in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders and neurological disorders.
The department of Bone and Joint at Wockhardt Hospital and neurosciences provides a continuum of treatment and care with an integrated system of doctors, supported by cutting edge technology and world class infrastructure to treatment of disabilities through various programs and rehabilitations.
Wockhardt Hospitals is regarded as a centre of excellence the healthcare domain, having facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.