“Arthroscopy” comes from two Greek words: ‘arthro,’ meaning “joint,” and ‘scope,’ meaning “look.” Arthroscopy is an orthopaedic procedure that is used in the diagnosis and treatment of various joint conditions through a visual channel. Today in India we see many patients opting for this line of minimal invasive surgery to treat multiple condition.
Common arthroscopic procedures include repairing cartilage and meniscus problems in the knee, and repairing rotator cuff tears in the shoulder.
Joints that care treated for are:
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Ankle Arthroscopy
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Wrist Arthroscopy
During the process of arthroscopy, a camera attached to a fiberoptic light is inserted into the joint through a small incision (about one centimetre) and a picture of the inside of the joint is seen on a television monitor. Using fluid pumped through the joint visibility is ensured and debris is cleared from the joint for the procedure to be carried out.
Arthroscopy can be done for the following procedures
- Trimming a torn meniscus of the knee
- Repairing a torn meniscus of the knee
- Treatment of shoulder bursitis
- Repair of the rotator cuff in the shoulder
- Treatment of cartilage damage in the knee
- Treatment of labral tears in the shoulder
Some areas where arthroscopy does not work in say knee surgery with arthritis
Some Complications during Arthroscopy Procedure:
Infection, blood clots, nerve injuries, and problems with anaesthesia.
The major advantage of the arthroscopy procedure is during recovery….
- One of the major advantages of arthroscopic surgery is the ability to limit damage to the soft-tissues surrounding the joint.
- Incisions are small, and there is minimal damage to muscle, ligaments, and all of the structures that surround the joint.
- Trauma to the joint, and the bleeding, swelling, and inflammation is reduced.
- Movement of the joint and strengthening exercises can take place sooner than with open surgical procedures.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals, has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
We are a premiere hospital in the country specializing in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders. We provide comprehensive orthopaedic care to our patients. The bone and joint program at Wockhardt Hospitals makes it a centre for excellence in orthopaedics with highly skilled clinical expertise. For further information or any orthopaedic related query visit our experts at Wockhardt Hospital.
Wockhardt Hospitals is regarded as a centre of excellence the healthcare domain, having facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.