Lungs are one of the most important organs in the body, providing oxygen for all bodily functions and keeping you healthy. Our lungs thrive on movement and physical activity. But amid lockdown, our movements have been limited. Here are a few vital tips to boost the lung health during the pandemic.
India is reeling under Coronavirus.COVID-19 causes respiratory disease and in serious cases, it can lead to pneumonia, and hence, the entire country has been put under lockdown. Thus, it is the need of the hour to keep lung problems at bay as people with existing ailments are at a higher risk of getting sick owing to Coronavirus.
Beware of these lung problems
· Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airways to your lungs. Upper respiratory infections (like the common cold, tonsillitis, and sinus infection). The commonest symptom is cough and these infections can also lead to runny nose, sore throat, and sneezing, wheezing and even pulmonary fibrosis.
· Lower respiratory tract infections (occur in lungs or breathing airways). These include pneumonia (an infection of both the lungs), bronchitis (can be described as an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs), and tuberculosis or TB (a contagious infection that usually attacks your lungs). It causes cough, breathlessness, and chest congestion.
This is how you can deal with common respiratory problems that one may suffer during rainy reason.
· Include foods such as apples, foods jam-packed with omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, broccoli that is jam-packed with antioxidants, in your diet. Beans can help fight free radicals that tend to damage your lungs. Berries contain antioxidants, and foods such as papaya, pineapple, Kiwi, cabbage, carrots, turmeric, and ginger can help strengthen the immune system.
· Exercise on a daily basis to cut down those excess kilos, and opt for relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation to relax.
· Avoid smoking or second-hand smoke or toxic inhalants and wear a mask. Hookah and Vaping can also deteriorate your lung health. Hence, avoid these as well. Cover your mouth while coughing and sneezing. Try to keep your asthma medication handy and stock the medications.
· Do breathing exercises regularly. This can help clear mucus from the lungs and also lowers the risk of a flare-up.
· The ones with allergies or any lung disease should be vaccinated for pneumonia and fluas per the advice from the doctor.