- Member : National Osteonecrosis Foundation(USA) – 2007
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty : John Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S – 2007
- Diplomate National Board : National Board of Education, New Delhi, India – 2001
- Master in Surgery : T N Medical college and Nair Hospital, Mumbai University – 2000
- Fellow of college of Physicians and Surgeons (FCPS) : College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mumbai India – 2000
- Diploma in Orthopedics (Dortho) : College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mumbai, India – 1999
- M.B.B.S. – Grant Medical College and Sir J J Hospital Mumbai University, India – 1996
- Rotating Internship – Grant Medical College and Sir J J Hospital Mumbai University, India – 1996
I have additional training in the following subjects after my Masters.
2007 : Arthoplasty Fellowship at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions United States.
2006 : Advanced Training In Hip Arthoplasty , Bangkok , Thailand.
2006 : AO Traumas Principles in Fracture Management.
2004 : Arthroplasty Course by Royal College of Surgeons , Edinburgh.
Sept 01 : Microsurgery Course – Indian Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
Aug. 01 : Cadaveric Flap Dissection , Bombay Orthopedic Society.
Sept.01 : JESS Fixation Workshop , Bombay Orthopedic Society.
I have completed my training in a tertiary care institute of Nair Hospital under well known teachers like Dr. D.D.Tanna as his clinical associates . Dr. Tanna is a well respected & a busy orthopedic consultant.
I started my practice in 2002 & have been associated with various hospitals as consultant in orthopedics. I have a busy private practice & operate 300 plus cases per year in addition to assisting other surgeons in difficult trauma & arthroplasty cases I m involved in around 100-125 primary arthroplasty & 20-30 revision arthroplasty per year.
I was working in John Hopkins Orthopedic , Division of Arthritis Surgery at Good Samaritan Hospital as a fellow in arthroplasty under the mentorship of Dr .H.K. Khanuja . The joint replacement surgeons are the well known Dr. David S Hungerford with Dr. M W Hungerford & Dr. H S Khanuja : who do around 1500 joint replacements per year.
Good Samaritan Hospital is also host to The National Osteonecrosis Foundation , a organization involved in research on osteonecrosis. Dr. David Hungerford is well known for basic research into the pathophysiology of Avascular Necrosis & is the originator of “CORE DECOMPRESSION SURGERY “ for Osteonecrosis. Dr. Lynne Jones who heads the NOF is also a well known for basic research of treatment modalities in Avascular necrosis. The hospital has a dedicated Joint Experience program for Joint Replacemnt Patients . The hospital also hosts the National Osteonecrosis Foundation , where Osteonecrosis reaserch is carried out under Dr. D. S . Hungerford . The fellowship has enabled me to study the working of a high volume joint center I was involved in all stages of planning & execution of primary & revision joint replacements I got an opportunity to observe complicated revision surgeries due to the tertiary joint revision setup at the institute. I also got an opportunity to do research in my chosen subjects of Osteonecrosis & waiting sanctioning of a grant to allow me to complete the research in India.
During the fellowship I was sent to the renowned hospital for special surgery in New York . I assisted doctors well renowned arthroplasty specialists like Dr, Rusell Windsor (PS-TKR ) , Gr. Stephen Haas ( Minimal Invasive TKR ) , Dr. E Su ( Resurfacing hip ) Dr. Thomas Sculco ( Chief of Hip Reconstruction Surgery ) , Dr. Bronstrom ( Complex Revision ) & Dr. Eduardo Salvati ( cemented THR ).
- “Total Knee Replacement – Operative Techniques “ -Ed : Arien Hanssen , Normon Scott published 2009 Saunders / Elsevier , contributing author chapter : Posterior Stabilised-Technique of Total Knee Replacement pg 35-52, www.operativetechniques.com
- “Metal on Metal Bearings- An update”: G M Palekar, H K Khanuja, And M W Hungerford: Journal of Academy of American Orthopedic Surgeons 2007.
- “Crosslinked Polythylene-New wine in old bottle”: Submitted, G M Palekar, H K Khanuja: Journal of Orthopedics 2007.
- “Bony remodeling of uncemented stems – 10 years of PCA stem : G M Palekar, H K Khanuja, M W Hungerford, D S Hungerford, Lynne Jones. Poster presented a society of biomaterials research, Atlanta 2008.
- “Remodelling in Uncemented stems – 10 year result” : G M Palekar, H K Khanuja, M W Hungerford, D S Hungerford, Lynne Jones. Poster presented at Society of Meeting of Academy of American Orthopedic Surgeons, Las Vegas 2009
ON GOING PROJECTS
- DCGI(Drug Controller General of India) approved study to see the safety and efficacy of autologous stem cell derived osteoblasts in AVN head of femur.
- Pioneer in use of stem cell derived Osteoblastic cells in Avascular Necrosis of Head of Femur.
- “Total Knee replacements without blood transfusions : strategies to minimize the blood loss during primary TKR “: G M Palekar, DD Tanna.
- Laboratory Analysis of use of bone graft substitutes in avascular necrosis of head of femur.
- Clinical study of use of bone graft substitutes in avascular necrosis of head of femur.
- Indo-German Orthopedic Foundation: Nagpur 2005-Treatment of Elbow fractures with Indo – German orthopedic foundation: Bangalore 2006 – Locking plates in Distal End Radius Fracture.
- WIROC 2013: Faculty in Symposium in Avascular Necrosis of Head of Femur : Use of stem cells Autologos Necrosis of Head of Femur.
- WIROC 2013 : Paper Presentation on : Early and Medium term followup of use of stem cell derived Autologous Necrosis of Head of Femur.
- IOACON 2Invite faculty symposium on Avascular Necrosis of head of Femur.
- Dissertation on “Modalities of Treatment of Radius Ulna # study of 50 cases, presented for the degree of Master of surgery in Orthopedics to the university of Bombay.
- Dissertation on “Management of Lumbar canal stenosis a study of 30 cases”, presented foe FCPS examination.
- Author in the International textbook of Joint Replacement – “Total knee replacement-operative techniques” – Ed: Arien Hanssen, Normal scott published 2009
- Saunders/ Elsevier, contributing author for chapter: Posterior stabilized – Technique of Total knee replacement. www.operativetechniques.com
- “What we don’t teach in workshops” – Ed: Dr.D.D Tanna, Jaypee Publications 2006.
- Gold Medal & First Rank at D. Ortho Examination
- Distinctions at M.B.B.S. examinations in Bombay University in the Subjects of :
- Second Rank at FCPS examinations