Dr. Mathew Samuel Kalarickal
MD,DM.D.Sc. FESC.,FACC.,FSCAI, M.B.B.S.
Pioneer of Angioplasty in India and has one of the largest experience in South-East Asia. Has performed over 10,000 Angioplasties. Started Coronary Angioplasty programs in most of the hospitals in India and has trained many Interventional Cardiologists in India, all over South East Asia and Australia. Worked in 136 Catheterization Laboratories in 12 different Countries, teaching Angioplasty.
First Indian Cardiologist to start various newer techniques like Angioplasty with Percutaneous Bypass, Coronary Stenting, Carotid Stenting, Rotablator Atherectomy etc. (Over 800 cases of Rotablation and over 3000 cases of Intra Coronary Stenting)
President - Asian Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology – 1996 - 1998
Recipient of the prestigious Padmashree National Award from His Excellency, The President of India -2000
Recipient of the prestigious Dr.B.C.Roy National Award in recognition of services in the Development of the Speciality of Cardiology from His Excellency, The President of India - 1996
Recipient of "Doctor of Science" Honoris Causa Award from
Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University on 30.6.2003
Recipient of "For the sake of honour" award 2006 from Rotary club of Madras Metro
Recipient of "Life Time Achievement Award" 2008 in the field of Cardiology from His Excellency Abdul Kalam
Uma Rani Baneerjee Oration at Cardiological Society of India in the field of Coronary Artery Disease 1990.
Pharmacia Oration during the V Indian College of Cardiology conference on - Past, Present and Future in Coronary Intervention July 1998
Teaching Faculty - 1996
- Chairman – Interventional Cardiology Live Course American College of Cardiology Congress – 1998 - 1999
- Founder Chairman of National Angioplasty Registry of India – 1988 - 1991
- Course Director – Bard Angioplasty Teaching Course in India (1991- 1998)
- Teaching Faculty - Stent Training Programme at Mallaya Hospital & St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India.
- Guest Faculty - Singapore General Hospital Angioplasty Course, Singapore - 1992, 1995 & 1998
- Teaching Faculty - Emory University Angioplasty Teaching Course, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 1993.
- Teaching Faculty - Polish Congress of Cardiology, 1994.
President (1995-1997) - Asian-Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology.
- American College of Cardiology Teaching Course, Orlando
- Asian-Pacific Society of Cardiology, Bali, Indonesia.
- Teaching Faculty - University of Rouen Teaching Course, Rouen – France 1995 – 1999.
- Guest Faculty - Australia Newzealand Cardiology Meeting & Live Course, Melbourne, Australia – 1996 – 1998.
- Guest Faculty - Great Wall Interventional Cardiology, Beijing, Peoples’ Republica of China.
- Guest Faculty – 20th Biennial Congress of South Africa, Cardiac Society, Wild Coast, South Africa.
- Guest Faculty – Trans-Australian Interventional Coronary Symposium, Brisbane, Australia.
- Guest Faculty – 5th Live Demonstration Course, Kokura, Japan.
- Teaching Faculty – Emory Course at Marriott’s Orlando World Center, Georgia, USA.
- Faculty Angioplasty Training Course, Adventist Hospital, Washington, U.S.A.
- Course Director – Asian Pacific Trips and Traps of Angioplasty Meeting, Srilanka.
- Guest Faculty – 2nd International Symposium on Interventional Cardiology, Beijing, China.
- Teaching Faculty – Royal Perth Hospital, Australia.
- Teaching Faculty – Medistra Hospital, Indonesia.
- Chairman for the Workshop – Ist Endovascular Therapy Course.
- Guest Faculty – 11th Asean Congress of Cardiology, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Guest Faculty – 2nd Live Demonstration Course, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.
- Guest Faculty – 4th Kamakura Live Demonstration, Trans equator Interventional Conference, Japan
- Teaching Faculty – National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Bangladesh.
- Teaching Faculty – XI Practical Course in Interventional Cardiology, Madrid, Spain.
- Teaching Faculty - University of Rouen Teaching Course, Rouen – France.
- Teaching Faculty – 3rd Great wall International Symposium on Interventional Cardiology, Beijing.
- Teaching Faculty – Interventional Cardiology Meeting, Perth, Australia.
- Guest Faculty – 1st Annual International Tropical Retreat, Hawaii.
- Guest Faculty – XII Practical Course in Interventional Cardiology, Madrid, Spain.
- Asian Faculty – Problem Solving in Interventional Cardiology Course, Kuala Lumpur.
- Guest Faculty – 3rd Asian Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology Conference, Kokura, Japan.
- Guest Faculty – 7th Live Demonstration Course in Interventional Cardiology, Royal Perth Hospital, Australia.
- Guest Faculty –3rd Live Demonstration Course, Seoul, Korea.
- Guest Faculty – XIII World Congress of Cardiology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Guest Faculty – 1st Interventional Cardiology Society of Indonesia, Surabaya.
- Teaching Faculty – 11th Congress of Iranian Heart Association, Tehran.
- Panelist - 1st Live Case Demonstration, American College of Cardiology Interventional Symposium, (ACCIS) New Orleans
- Guest Faculty - 1st Global Revascularisation Summit, New Delhi.
- Faculty - 8th Live Demonstration Course, Singapore.
- Convenor – Second Indo-French Endo-Vascular Workshop, Rouen, France.
- Guest Faculty - Endovascular Therapy Course [ETC], Paris, France.
- Programme Director – 1st World Congress of Interventional Cardiology, Mumbai, India.
- Faculty - 9th Live Demonstration Course, Singapore.
- Endovascular Therapy Course [ETC], Paris, France.
- Coronary Intervention 2000 – Kenya F
- Teaching Faculty – Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics, Washington
- Indo French interventional meeting - Hyderabad
- Annual meeting of Cardiological Society of India, December 2000 Chennai
Live Case Operator
- Teaching faculty for annual meeting of American College of Cardiology since 2001
- Teaching faculty for annual meeting of Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics since 2001
- Teaching Faculty for annual meeting of Complex Catheter Therapeutics Japan since 2001
- Teaching Faculty for annual meeting of Euro PCR,France
- Teaching Faculty for China Interventional Therapeutics, Beijing,China
- Teaching Faculty for Angioplasty Summit (TCTAP) Meeting at Seoul
- Teaching Faculty for Complex Cardiovascular Catheter Therapeutics Conference (C3)
- Teaching Faculty for Complex Coronary & Vascular Cases at Mount Sinai Medical Center
SPECIALIZATION & TRAINING
- Live case operator - Plaque modification Course at Madras Medical Mission, Chennai
- Live case operator - 6th annual Congress of working group of interventional cardiology at Cairo
- 2006 – 2010 - Live case operator, Moderator & Teaching Faculty – Singapore Live
- Live case operator, Moderator & Teaching Faculty – MY LIVE, Malaysia since 2006
- Live case operator, Moderator & Teaching Faculty – Angioplasty Summit, Seoul since 2007
- Live case operator, Moderator & Teaching Faculty – CIT, Beijing since 2008
- In Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA) under Dr. Andreas Gruentzig at Emory University,
- Visiting Fellow - University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.A.
- Visiting Fellow - Interventional Cardiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.
- Visiting Fellow Interventional Cardiology, Atlanta, U.S.A.
- Advanced course in Cardiovascular Radiation Therapy II, Washington DC.
Electronic Algesimeter (to quantify the cutaneous pain Sensation) U.S. Patent No. 4641661 dated February 10, 1987.
Jugular venous pressure scale - US patent pending.
Temporary Stents – US Patent pending.
Marker Guide wire (for QCA Analysis) – Patent pending.
CLINICAL RESEARCH EXPERIENCEDrug Trials
"c7E3 Fab (Abciximab) in patients undergoing High Risk Coronary Angioplasty" - Investigator, Registry Trial.Device Trials & Research Programmes
LIVE TRANSMISSIONS from India to various countries
- Investigator for "Early and Late outcomes after the Minicrown Stent placement in small vessel native coronary arteries". – Multi-Center Asia Pacific study .Enrolled 15 patients in our site over 3 months period.
- Investigator for the Reopro Asia Pacific Observational Registry – RAPOR STUDY
- Investigator for the Intra-Coronary Radio therapy device for preventing restenosis in patients with Intra-Stent Re-stenosis using the Novoste Betacath System with Strontium 90 isotope.
- Investigator for the Reopro Indian Patients Experience Registry – RIPER Study
- P.I.X.E.L Study – Multi-center International randomised trial comparing the outcome of pre-dilatation vs no pre-dilatation strategy of Coronary Stenting using the PIXEL Stent.Ours is the only study site in the Asia-Pacific region apart from other sites in the European Continent.
- Investigator for the pre-market performance evaluation of the ACS Multilink Duet over the wire balloon mounted stent delivery system in coronary arteries.
- Investigator for the pre-market performance evaluation of the ACS Tetra rapid exchange monorail balloon mounted stent delivery system in coronary arteries.
- Investigator for the pre-market performance evaluation of the ACS Penta rapid exchange monorail balloon mounted stent delivery system in coronary arteries.
- Investigator for pre-market performance evaluation of the Medtronic S7 balloon mounted coronary stent delivery system.
- Investigator for pre-market performance evaluation of the Medtronic LT 30 with the fixed wire balloon (non compliant balloon system) mounted coronary stent delivery system.
- DECODE study, where Sirolimus eluting stents and non coated stents are compared in diabetic patients with long lesion in small diameter coronaries.
- REALITY study where Sirolimous stents and Paclitaxel eluting stents are directly compared to each other in coronary artery disease
- Primary Investigator : The e-SELECT Registry: A multicenter post-market surveillance study
- Primary Investigator : Absorb Extended Trial
- Primary Investigator : SPIRIT V & VI
- Primary Investigator : BIOMIME
- 2003 – Live case operator & transmitted to EURO PCR, Paris from India
- 2004 - Live case operator & transmitted to JIM 2004, Rome from India
- 2004 - Live case operator & transmitted to CCT 2004, Kobe, Japan
- 2008 - Live case operator & transmitted to AICT at Bangkok from Mumbai
- 2012 - Live case operator & transmitted to C3 conference held at Orlando
- Course Director – INDIA LIVE conference conducted in India every year
- Past President – Cardiological Society of India
- Honorary Director – Institute of Cardio-Vascular Diseases, Madras Medical Mission, Chennai
- Chairman - Interventional Cardiology Asian-Pacific Society of Cardiology - 1995-1999.
- Managing Trustee – Indo French Interventional Cardiology Foundation, 1999 onwards
- Trustee – Asian Pacific Interventional Cardiology (India) Educational Trust -1997
- Director - Interventional Cardiology & Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories,Apollo Hospitals, Chennai.
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist at Mumbai Lilavati Hospitals, Cumballa Hospital, Breach Candy hospital, P.D.Hinduja hospital LH Hiranandini Hospital
- Hon. Prof. of Cardiology; Inst. of Cardiology, Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad.
- Honorary Professor, Govt. General Hospital, Madras Medical College Guest Professor , Fourth Military Medical University, Xian, Shaanxi,
People’s Republic of China – Nov 2001