“Next to creating a life, the finest thing a man can do is save one” – Abraham Lincoln
Shantaram Bamne, a 45-year-old Vashigaon resident, who works as an ambulance driver at Sterling Wockhardt hospital in Vashi, saved the life of a biker who had met with an accident on the Sion-Panvel highway recently. While motorists paused to see the injured youth profusely bleeding on the road, Bamne took the biker in a taxi to the hospital 500 metres away.
The 22-year-old victim, Farhan Pasta, who resides with his uncle at Colaba, had bumped into a rainwater-filled pothole after crossing the Vashi toll plaza. A speeding truck from behind ran over him and dragged him for some distance which severely damaged his internal organs.
Bamne said, "On September 19, I was returning home in a borrowed car after finishing some work in Chembur. Around 4pm, when I crossed the plaza, I saw a crowd gathered abutting the highway, and a biker lying on road with his body covered with a plastic sheet. A traffic cop was waving at vehicles but no one halted as it was raining heavily. I stopped to help the cop, when a passing taxi halted behind. The cop put the youth in the taxi to take him to NMMC hospital in Vashi. But the youth seemed critical, so I suggested he be taken to Sterling Wockhardt. Doctors operated on the youth and saved him as he was brought quickly."
Dr. Abhijit Bagul, trauma care surgeon at Sterling Wockhardt, said, "Pasta had to undergo three surgeries as he sustained a major abdominal injury, pelvis fracture, urinary bladder rupture and multiple fractures of his limbs. His condition was critical. Even the truck tyre mark was visible on his abdomen. With prompt medical care, we resuscitated the patient."
Big congratulations to Dr Abhijit Bagul, Trauma care surgeon at Wockhardt Hospitals Vashi and clinical team members and Mr Shantaram Bamne, Ambulance Driver who proved “Life wins’.
Online Link : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/navi-mumbai/ambulance-driver-saves-sobo-biker-hurt-due-to-pothole/articleshow/60963661.cms
- Infant swallows pin,saved after surgery01 Dec, 2017
- Wockhardt's hat-trick of Green Corridor28 Nov, 2017
- Hosp staffer donates brain-dead son's organs to save 3 lives24 Oct, 2017
- Mumbai docs gives hope to Yemeni Children with cerebral palsy.09 Oct, 2017
- 78-year-old brain-dead man gives a new life to two17 Sep, 2017
- Senior citizen desk inaugurated at the Wockhardt Hospital, Nashik08 Sep, 2017
- Help desk at Mumbai airport to save foreign patients from touts05 Sep, 2017
- How Wockhardt Hospitals CIO built an automated cost analysis model17 Aug, 2017
- How healthcare organisations are using data analytics to improve clinical outcomes17 Aug, 2017