“My name is Manish.” These were the first words spoken by the 19-year-old from Silvassa after he found his voice back, three years after he lost it when he drank pesticide to commit suicide in his village.
Manish Kuvara, who stays with his father, Devubhai, 45, his mother and two brothers in Dudhani village in Silvassa, had consumed pesticide when he was 16, under stress for his Class 10 exams. After a three-hour surgery at Wockhardt Hospital on Mira Road, he can now speak and is responding to treatment.
“We first admitted him to Vinobha Bhave Civil Hospital, Silvassa. Doctors said Manish’s trachea was injured because of which he lost his speech,” said Devubhai. “Since then, he would communicate with us in sign language. He quit going to school because of his speech impairment,” he said.
One of the doctors who treated Manish advised Devubhai and his family to take him to Wockhardt Hospital. Dr Neepa Vellimuttam, ENT surgeon, Wockhardt Hospital said surgery was the only solution and the family was informed about the high risk involved. “Manish’s trachea had become narrow leading to difficulty in breathing and a hole was made in his neck (tracheostomy) for breathing by the Silvassa doctors. As air could not pass into the vocal chords, Manish was unable to speak,” said Vellimuttam.
After the surgery, with the help of onco-surgeon, Dr Krutarth Thakur, and anaesthetist, Dr Vinita Sangai, Manish can now speak, said Vellimuttam. “He is now breathing and talking normally as we resected the tracheostomy and also the narrow part of the trachea,” said Vellimuttam. “My son got a second life,” said Devubhai. Manish will have to undergo further tests, said Vellimuttam.
- Zahabiya Khorakiwala MD talk about the trailblazing progress of Wockhardt Hospitals18 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt sets up 13-bed dialysis unit in South Mumbai with 3 extra beds for hepatitis B/C, HIV positive patients16 Jul, 2018
- Mumbai doctor removes 1.7kg gall bladder cyst, may have set world record10 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt organises programme to improve patient’s clinical outcomes06 Jul, 2018
- Nine-months-old boy youngest to undergo successful liver transplant06 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt hospital starts haematology, haemato oncology, BMT facility in north Mumbai suburb04 Jul, 2018
- Leptospirosis claims three lives in Mumbai04 Jul, 2018
- Expert says potholes lead to physical and mental stress in people during monsoons04 Jul, 2018
- Mumbai sees six dengue cases after first spell of monsoon04 Jul, 2018
- Lupus – The Disease That Can Present Just With Joint Pains Initially04 Jul, 2018