Wockhardt Hospital Nagpur performed its first liver transplant on Wednesday thus becoming second hospital in the city to have done this procedure. The organ was harvested from a 33-year-old brain-dead man at Acharya Vinoba Bhave Rural Hospital (AVBRH), Sawangi Meghe. This is the fourth liver transplant performed in the city.
Dr Chandrashekhar Mahakalkar, AVBRH medical superintendent, told TOI that two kidneys and corneas were also harvested from the donor. “One kidney was transplanted at our hospital and the other went to Orange City Hospital and Research Institute as per Zonal Transplant Coordination Centre (ZTCC) wait-list. The patient was declared brain-dead at around 1.45pm on Tuesday and the liver and kidney left for Nagpur through green corridor from Wardha at around 6.30pm,” he said. It was fourth organ retrieval at the AVBRH
The transplant surgery was performed by Dr Gaurav Gupta and Dr Anurag Shrimal at Wockhardt Hospital from around 8pm on Tuesday till 5am on Wednesday. The transplant was done on a 50-year-old woman, Suman Jaiswal, from Mumbai. “She had registered herself with the ZTCC in 2-3 cities. She was first in our wait-list so she flew in immediately after knowing about the availability of the organ,” said Dr Gupta.
Dr Gupta said that the woman was very sick and desperately needed the organ. She had multiple infections and complications for the past few months. She was, however, luckily out of infection at the time of the transplant. Anaesthetist Dr.Anjali Patki, Dr Sourabh Kamat and DrSwanand Melag along with Dr Dinesh Zirpe and Dr.Amit Gupte supported the surgery.
The centre head of Wockhardt K Sujatha said that the patient was receovering well in the isolation room of the ICU and should be out of ventilator in few hours.
Dr Vibhawari Dani, ZTCC president, coordinated the organ allocation as per the wait-list.
- Zahabiya Khorakiwala MD talk about the trailblazing progress of Wockhardt Hospitals18 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt sets up 13-bed dialysis unit in South Mumbai with 3 extra beds for hepatitis B/C, HIV positive patients16 Jul, 2018
- Mumbai doctor removes 1.7kg gall bladder cyst, may have set world record10 Jul, 2018
- Nine-months-old boy youngest to undergo successful liver transplant06 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt organises programme to improve patient’s clinical outcomes06 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt hospital starts haematology, haemato oncology, BMT facility in north Mumbai suburb04 Jul, 2018
- Leptospirosis claims three lives in Mumbai04 Jul, 2018
- Expert says potholes lead to physical and mental stress in people during monsoons04 Jul, 2018
- Mumbai sees six dengue cases after first spell of monsoon04 Jul, 2018
- Lupus – The Disease That Can Present Just With Joint Pains Initially04 Jul, 2018