Wockhardt Hospital Nagpur performed its first liver transplant on Wednesday thus becoming second hospital in the city to have done this procedure. The organ was harvested from a 33-year-old brain-dead man at Acharya Vinoba Bhave Rural Hospital (AVBRH), Sawangi Meghe. This is the fourth liver transplant performed in the city.
Dr Chandrashekhar Mahakalkar, AVBRH medical superintendent, told TOI that two kidneys and corneas were also harvested from the donor. “One kidney was transplanted at our hospital and the other went to Orange City Hospital and Research Institute as per Zonal Transplant Coordination Centre (ZTCC) wait-list. The patient was declared brain-dead at around 1.45pm on Tuesday and the liver and kidney left for Nagpur through green corridor from Wardha at around 6.30pm,” he said. It was fourth organ retrieval at the AVBRH
The transplant surgery was performed by Dr Gaurav Gupta and Dr Anurag Shrimal at Wockhardt Hospital from around 8pm on Tuesday till 5am on Wednesday. The transplant was done on a 50-year-old woman, Suman Jaiswal, from Mumbai. “She had registered herself with the ZTCC in 2-3 cities. She was first in our wait-list so she flew in immediately after knowing about the availability of the organ,” said Dr Gupta.
Dr Gupta said that the woman was very sick and desperately needed the organ. She had multiple infections and complications for the past few months. She was, however, luckily out of infection at the time of the transplant. Anaesthetist Dr.Anjali Patki, Dr Sourabh Kamat and DrSwanand Melag along with Dr Dinesh Zirpe and Dr.Amit Gupte supported the surgery.
The centre head of Wockhardt K Sujatha said that the patient was receovering well in the isolation room of the ICU and should be out of ventilator in few hours.
Dr Vibhawari Dani, ZTCC president, coordinated the organ allocation as per the wait-list.
- Wockhardt starts e-consultation amidst lockdown31 Mar, 2020
- 83-Year-Old Woman Suffering From Heart Attack Successfully Treated With TAVR Procedure27 Feb, 2020
- Wockhardt Doctors Remove 1.5 Inch Bottle Cap Stuck In An Infant's Throat19 Feb, 2020
- 70 Year Old Businessman Heart Stopped Beating for 10 Minutes Was Revived by Wockhardt Team12 Feb, 2020
- Life Wins: Successful Brain surgery gave new lease of Life to a Ghana Student12 Feb, 2020
- New technique of joint replacement surgery a boon for elderly patients at Wockhardt hospital, Nashik30 Jan, 2020
- Wockhardt Hospital Express Healthcare May 201910 Jun, 2019
- Increase in heart disease..18 Apr, 2019
- A minimal Invasive surgery for mitral valve in heart was successfully performed04 Apr, 2019
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Doctor creates controlled heart attack for good cause! : Wockhardt Hospital SOBO01 Mar, 2019