Wockhardt Hospital Nagpur performed its first liver transplant on Wednesday thus becoming second hospital in the city to have done this procedure. The organ was harvested from a 33-year-old brain-dead man at Acharya Vinoba Bhave Rural Hospital (AVBRH), Sawangi Meghe. This is the fourth liver transplant performed in the city.
Dr Chandrashekhar Mahakalkar, AVBRH medical superintendent, told TOI that two kidneys and corneas were also harvested from the donor. “One kidney was transplanted at our hospital and the other went to Orange City Hospital and Research Institute as per Zonal Transplant Coordination Centre (ZTCC) wait-list. The patient was declared brain-dead at around 1.45pm on Tuesday and the liver and kidney left for Nagpur through green corridor from Wardha at around 6.30pm,” he said. It was fourth organ retrieval at the AVBRH
The transplant surgery was performed by Dr Gaurav Gupta and Dr Anurag Shrimal at Wockhardt Hospital from around 8pm on Tuesday till 5am on Wednesday. The transplant was done on a 50-year-old woman, Suman Jaiswal, from Mumbai. “She had registered herself with the ZTCC in 2-3 cities. She was first in our wait-list so she flew in immediately after knowing about the availability of the organ,” said Dr Gupta.
Dr Gupta said that the woman was very sick and desperately needed the organ. She had multiple infections and complications for the past few months. She was, however, luckily out of infection at the time of the transplant. Anaesthetist Dr.Anjali Patki, Dr Sourabh Kamat and DrSwanand Melag along with Dr Dinesh Zirpe and Dr.Amit Gupte supported the surgery.
The centre head of Wockhardt K Sujatha said that the patient was receovering well in the isolation room of the ICU and should be out of ventilator in few hours.
Dr Vibhawari Dani, ZTCC president, coordinated the organ allocation as per the wait-list.
- 82-year-old man first from Central India to get leadless pacemaker implanted27 Dec, 2018
- Mumbai: Man has stroke, unlocked cell phone saves life10 Dec, 2018
- No silicone implants in breasts, doctors tell Australia woman who underwent operation in Thailand10 Dec, 2018
- Four critical patients get new lease of life10 Dec, 2018
- 15 children undergo heart surgery at Wockhardt10 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospital, SOBO Launches a Diabetes Clinic Powered by Wellthy Therapeutics10 Dec, 2018
- Key to saving your life: Don't lock your phone03 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospitals awarded "Best clinical practices of the year award" at Navabharat Value Based Healthcare Summit and Awards 201815 Nov, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospital female staff goes pink in October09 Oct, 2018
- City doc saves critically ill patient of split aorta, a rare heart defect : Wockhardt Hospital, Nagpur22 Aug, 2018