40 is a milestone when the risk of many health conditions increases.
Here are some health concerns that you may find yourself faced with in your 40s:
1) Chronic pain—the risk for arthritis, back pain and other painful conditions like tendonitis and, spondylitis, increases with age.
2) Cardiovascular disease- Blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and homocysteine levels, our some indicators of your heart which slowly creep upward as you get older, increasing your risk for several serious medical conditions, including heart attack and stroke.
3) Diabetes is a significant health problem in and risk for type 2 diabetes (the most common form of the disease) increases with age
4) Osteoporosis—Peak bone mass (maximum bone density and strength) gradually declines in your 40s and beyond, increasing your risk for osteoporosis—bone loss that can lead to fractures and other problems. After menopause, women are at even higher risk for this condition. A healthy diet and regular weight-bearing exercise, including strength training, can help prevent osteoporosis.
5) Anxiety and depression—it’s important to take care of your mental health in your 40s. Changes in mood are a normal part of life, but extreme anxiety, loss of interest and energy, an inability to experience pleasure, withdrawal from usual activities and interactions, and apathy toward important matters is not.
6) Skin problems—adult acne, sun damage, age spots and wrinkles—often concerns for 40-somethings.
7) Sexual and reproductive health is an important part of overall health in your 40s. Common issues include sexual dysfunction (e.g., female sexual dysfunction, erectile dysfunction), sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and infections (STIs) including HIV/AIDS, and contraception.
8) Urinary incontinence, overactive bladder and digestive problems, including ulcers, are other conditions that are more common in people over the age of 40.
9) Hormonal changes including perimenopause in women is a common occurrence and brings it with both physiological changes in women and psychological. In the same way men may experience symptoms of testosterone deficiency, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, enlarged prostate) or transient erectile dysfunction.
10) Changes in vision and hearing loss are also relatively common problems for people in their 40s.
Preventive health care and screening is essential during this time to rule out any underlying health condition or to alert oneself of the same. At Wockhardt Hospital we place a great emphasis on the value Preventive care as an important speciality as well. The service shifts the focus of health care from treating sickness to maintaining wellness and good health. The program is designed in ruling out various risk factors and diagnosing abnormalities and is designed to prevent or delay the onset of illness and disease.
Most people younger than 40 years of age are generally free from diseases that could be diagnosed by physical examination alone. In this age group, health problems usually show specific signs or symptoms that would prompt you to seek medical attention It is now recommended that medical check-ups be referred to as Periodic Health Assessments or Examinations and they be performed every five years (for adults over 18) until age 40 and every one to three years thereafter. The requirements are for more frequent evaluations for those taking prescription and medications.
The health packages at Wockhardt hospital comprise of Basic Health Check-up, Premium Health Check-up and Executive Heath check-up. All our packages have been carefully designed by a team of doctors for evaluation of haematological, lipid profile, systemic profile, cancer profile (kidney, liver, heart) and other diagnostic investigations taking into consideration common disease affecting the Indian scenario. The packages cater to specific age groups and have a battery of recommended tests to choose from. Your complete report is evaluated by our renowned and established consultants for further management. The preventive health care packages are designed encompassing a healthy lifestyle, exercise, diet and physical evaluation and doctors’ advice. Prevention is better than cure cannot be as well emphasised with health check programs at the hospital.
To know more about our health check-up packages and how you can avail the same please contact our centres at Wockhardt Hospital.