An 18-year-old student from Ghana having a massive brain tumour successfully operated by Dr. Mazda Turel, Neuro Spine Surgeon, Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central. The patient underwent an extremely challenging craniotomy and excision of the tumour that lasted for 8 hours. He is able to walk, speak and balance himself, and will resume his studies soon.
Life was beautiful until Jude Mensah, 18-year-old from Ghana was jolted out of his normal life as he suddenly encountered a headache and loss of speech, following a convulsion. He would also vomit occasionally, and ultimately got gradually paralyzed on this right side. On consulting various medicos in Ghana, it was revealed that Jude suffered from a benign brain tumour 2 years ago and his health was deteriorating as the tumour was gradually increasing in size. He was also losing vision due to raised intracranial pressure. But due to the complexity of the surgery, no one was willing to operate on him in Africa. That is when Jude's brother's Jonnathan decided to take the matter into his hands, and researched the hospitals across Europe and Asia. And that is how the family came to know about Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central.
Dr. Mazda Turel, Neuro Spine Surgeon, Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central, said, 'The patient underwent removal of the tumour via a very difficult operation. The tumour was extremely vascular and we lost around 2 litres of blood. The surgery lasted for about 8 hours, and we were able to remove the tumour completely. After the removal of the tumour, his normal fluid pathways were restored. Post-operatively, he recovered slowly and steadily.' The patient was discharged 2 weeks later.
A teary-eyed patient Jude Mensah stated, 'Prior to the surgery, I wasn't able to concentrate on my studies. I am perusing College and aspire to become successful in life. But, my brain tumour was an obstacle in my journey towards fulfilling my dream. And after I was paralyzed, my movements were completely restricted. I thank doctors at Wockhardt Hospital for helping me get back on track. Now, I can walk without support, speak and balance myself. I am taking physiotherapy, and I am hoping to resume studies soon. I am sure that I will pass with flying colors.'
Big congratulations to Dr. Mazda Turel as well as Nursing and Technician team members of Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central who proved “Life wins’’.
- 70 Year Old Businessman Heart Stopped Beating for 10 Minutes Was Revived by Wockhardt Team12 Feb, 2020
- New technique of joint replacement surgery a boon for elderly patients at Wockhardt hospital, Nashik30 Jan, 2020
- Wockhardt Hospital Express Healthcare May 201910 Jun, 2019
- Increase in heart disease..18 Apr, 2019
- A minimal Invasive surgery for mitral valve in heart was successfully performed04 Apr, 2019
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Doctor creates controlled heart attack for good cause! : Wockhardt Hospital SOBO01 Mar, 2019
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Rare case of Cortication of Aorta treated successfully : Wockhardt Hospital Nashik25 Jan, 2019
- 82-year-old man first from Central India to get leadless pacemaker implanted27 Dec, 2018
- Mumbai: Man has stroke, unlocked cell phone saves life10 Dec, 2018