Aims of International Gynecological Awareness Day ON 10TH September 2017:
- To bring professionals and health consumers together for the betterment of Gynaecological / Sexual Health Awareness;
- To continue to share knowledge and experiences with the community in an effort to remove cultural and sexual taboos and build confidence within oneself;
- To raise awareness of gynaecological and sexual health;
- To provide information on specific gynaecological issues in an open and friendly foum
Women’s health issues deserve as much attention as men since health care matters impact women differently than men. Plus, Women do represent fifty one percent of the population.
In today times the health care needs for women is gaining attention and services have been set up dedicated to the growing medical needs of today’s women to provide the best care possible. It has become imperative in the lifestyle women that healthcare service take a step forward in providing service and facilities for women through a holistic and seamless integrated approach. The services range from diagnosis to treatment, and even emotional and psychological support.
Women’s health care services have been specially incorporated in the healthcare system to provide a continuum of care to all women’s health issues from adolescence, motherhood to menopausal age groups and elder The services comes under the speciality of Obstetrics and Gynaecology that deals with the care of women from puberty to menopause; it covers all conditions of reproductive system from the birth of girl child onwards to problems of puberty, conception and delivery, contraception and family planning services and other women related disorders.
Understanding the scope of Obstetrics and Gynaecology a Women’s Health Care Speciality:
Obstetrics is a medical speciality evaluating, treating and monitoring women in pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period.
Gynaecology is the medical practice dealing with the health of the female reproductive systems (vagina, uterus and ovaries) and the breasts and diagnoses and treats the associated diseases in accordance with Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
The speciality of Gynaecology & Obstetrics is a comprehensive clinical department that provides investigative, treatment and emergency services for a whole range of obstetric and gynaecological conditions. An obstetrician and gynaecologist is a specialised doctor who will evaluate these conditions.
It is important to recognise and be aware of the following Gynaecological signs and symptoms that may require medical attention. Symptoms may result from mild infections that are easy to treat. But, if they are not treated properly, they can lead to more serious conditions, including infertility or kidney damage. Gynaecological symptoms may resemble other medical conditions or urological problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Consult your physician if you have any of the following symptoms:
- bleeding between menstrual cycle
- frequent and urgent need to urinate, or a burning sensation during urination
- abnormal vaginal bleeding, particularly during or after intercourse
- pain or pressure in your pelvis that differs from menstrual cramps
- itching, burning, swelling, redness, or soreness in the vaginal area
- sores or lumps in the genital area
- vaginal discharge with an unpleasant or unusual odour, or of an unusual colour
- pain or discomfort during intercourse
- menstrual irregularities
Recognizing symptoms early and seeing a physician right away increases the likelihood of successful treatment.
Types of conditions of gynaecological conditions treated are:
- Menstrual disorders: Dysmenorrhea, abnormal uterine bleeding, and premenstrual syndrome.,
- Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding,
- Urinary incontinence in women
- Prolapse of Uterus
- Gynaecological Malignancies: Cervical Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Uterine Cancer (Cancer of the womb),Vaginal Cancer
- Fibroid Uterus and ovarian cysts,
- Management of infertility cases in gynaecology and obstetrics
- Sexually transmitted disease and menopause,
- Vaginitis and pelvic inflammatory diseases.
- Menopause care
Routine Gynaecological Examination done by the doctor encompasses the following:
- The Breast Examination.
- The Pelvic Examination.
- The External Genital Exam
- The Speculum Exam to check internal female organs
- The Pap smear
- Rectovaginal Exam.
- General history and complaints are assessed
Some common investigations which are advised for gynaecological conditions:
- Transvaginal ultrasound or routine sonography.
- Pap Smear test.(cervical cancer)
- Biopsy e.g. endometrial biopsy
- Routine urine and blood investigations
- Routine tests to
- Check for sexually transmitted diseases: test you for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) like gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis, and HIV.
The Surgical Gynaecology Scope of Services Includes:
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries- Minimal Invasive Surgery
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic Management of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy
- Vaginal Hysterectomy for Non-decent Uterus
- Infertility related Laparoscopy
- Operative Hysteroscopy
- Dilatation and Curettage
Women Health Care Services at Wockhardt Hospital:
A 50-year-old legacy and tradition of caring is what Wockhardt Hospital stands on. Wockhardt Hospitals has been proactive in bringing innovative nurturing for better health. Wockhardt Hospitals has become a leading health service provider with its strong presence in the western parts of the country i.e. Mumbai, Nagpur Rajkot, Nasik and Surat. This group of 8 hospitals fulfils the need of the community in its chosen field of super specialty like Cardiology, Orthopaedics, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Urology, Aesthetics and Minimal Access Surgery.
Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.
Our mother and child care department, provides comprehensive services ranging from health promotion to clinical excellence in maternity care and gynaecology. Our aim is to deliver compassionate world class care with the latest technology in a family centred environment.
Our Maternity services include qualified dedicated nursing staff under the guidance of experienced renowned team of obstetricians and gynaecologists, to monitor mothers and their new-borns. The department is supported by a round a clock labour room facility and 24 transport ambulance services can be availed.
The Highlights of Maternity services include: preconception assessment, comprehensive antenatal care right up to delivery of the child (postnatal care) services all under one roof. We are also supported by tertiary level neonatal intensive care services and painless labour facilities. Our high risk delivery team at our centres is adequately trained to ensure a safe delivery for patients requiring critical management of high risk cases.
Wockhardt hospital works towards serving women with the safest and most efficient diagnostics and therapeutic techniques that provide less invasive treatments for gynaecological procedures. This includes state of the art minimal invasive surgery through laparoscopy surgery and endoscopic surgery. As part of gynaecology services our medical experts specialising in managing endocrine and hormonal dysfunction and evaluate patients’ needs and their treatment. Spectrum of patients vary from adolescents to post-menopausal women .Our department also includes uro- gynaecology providing comprehensive surgical and medical treatment for conditions related pelvic floor defects. All investigations are supported by our in-house diagnostic facilities for accurate and quality results.
Wockhardt Hospitals follow process driven quality systems that adhere to international standards of clinical care, safe environment, infection control and respect for patient rights & privacy. Many of the Wockhardt group of hospitals has accreditation of the NABH (National Accreditation Board of Hospitals &Healthcare), the highest and the most stringent quality standards institution in India and the National authority in healthcare accreditation. To achieve high degree of clinical excellence, we have entered into strategic alliances with Partners Medical International, USA, whereby Wockhardt Hospitals has access to Harvard’s expertise and experience in the fields of surgery and other Medicare services. Wockhardt group of hospitals in India is a preferred destination for patients from Europe, USA, Africa, Middle East and South Asia.