The winter season brings a chill in the air and one tends to feel pleasant.
However, it is better to watch out for certain ailments that usually accompany the drop in temperature.
It is a well-known fact that disease such as arthritis and heart diseases can worsen during this period. But cold-related ailments including respiratory and skin conditions and many more can flare up or even worsen.
Let’s take a look at some conditions that you can suffer from during the winter months.
Conservative line of treatment is the best way to cure these types, keep yourself warm, take rest and hydrate yourself adequately with warm fluids. Antibiotics rarely help as most of the infections are likely to be due to viruses which do not respond to them. In case of pre-existing asthma and bronchitis keep yourself warm, and take their medications and inhalers regularly.
2) Dryness of skin in the winter season is extremely common. This can lead to intense itching, especially on the shin, thighs, trunk and arms. Eczema and psoriasis can worsen during winters. The best line of treatment is to keep your skin moisturized at all times. If possible try to get some sun exposure. In addition to diet and exercise, if you keep yourself and the house warm, expose yourself to as much sun as possible, and do breathing exercises and meditation to regularise the breathing pattern, the impact of winter-related ailments could be significantly reduced.
3) Stomach Flu very common during winter months. When your immune system becomes weak, your body faces difficulty in fighting against the effects of bacteria. The most common symptoms of stomach infection include vomiting, excessive thirst, green stool, fever, diarrhoea, loss of appetite and pain the abdominal area. It’s a self-treatable ailment and does not require any specific course of treatment.
During the infection following is advised:
4) Heart Attack
If you have an underlying heart condition please takes maximum precautions during the winter months. During the winter season many breathing problems occur, which directly or indirectly increase the chances a person suffering from a heart disease.
Here are some awareness tips to guide you for preventing the same:
5) Pneumonia: It’s a lung infection caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Doctors suggest that symptoms of Pneumonia must not be ignored or taken lightly, for if the infection is not treated at the earliest, it can gravely hamper the functionality of the lungs, the brain and many related organs of the body. In case of signs and symptoms of pneumonia please consult your doctor includes as follows:
6) Bronchiolitis: Caused by a viral infection that disturbs the air passages in the lungs, affecting children and appears in infants, but affect adults as well. It seems quite similar to a common cold, but as the condition progresses, it causes a breathing problem. Symptoms of bronchiolitis are as follows Fatigue, Vomiting, Cough, Fast breathing, Sluggish appearance, wheezing.
In case the conditions worsen please visit your doctor.
7) Throat Infection: Symptoms start with painful, itchy and scratchy throat that makes us uncomfortable. Most throat infections are a result of a persisting infection or some environmental factors, such as dry air. Gargling, rest, and avoiding cold items will help.
7) Allergic Asthma: Allergic asthma, as the name suggests, is a condition wherein an individual suffers from an asthmatic condition as a result of an allergic reaction. Individuals with allergic asthma usually experience symptoms as soon as they inhale an allergen the patient as breathlessness on rest with increased respiratory rate. Some basic tips to prevent asthma:
9) Raynaud’s Syndrome: It is a condition wherein the flow of blood to your fingers, toes, nose, and ears gets restricted. This typically happens when the blood vessels present in these areas constrict. Common symptoms include colour changes in the skin, stinging pain and stress.
Some tips to prevent this include:
Joint pain in winter results due to stiffness of muscles. During winter people tend to stay indoors getting very little exercise and hence making muscles stiffer.
Those suffering from Arthritis also complain that winter worsens their condition. The pain can get worse in case one has suffered joint injuries.
Some tips to ease the pain:
In case you are experiencing any of signs or symptoms and need treatment or would like to know please contact our centres at Wockhardt Hospital. Wockhardt Hospitals is one of the countries premium hospitals that are focused on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
Wockhardt Hospitals is regarded as a centre of excellence the healthcare domain, having facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life