Mumbai welcomes the monsoon season after the scorching heat once again.
But as we aware apart from the pleasant weather the season brings many diseases like typhoid, dengue, malaria, common cold, skin infection due to the damp and unhygienic conditions during this time. Furthermore, this season takes a toll on one’s immune system making us susceptible to these infections and allergies.
Let's have a look at some simple yet effective health tips for Monsoons which can make the season even more enjoyable without worrying.
- During the monsoon season the body and especially the digestive system are most prone to infections. Diseases in the rainy season are mostly water-borne so make sure you only drink water that is filtered or boiled.
- It is also important to maintain a healthy diet in rainy season, which means that your favourite road side snacks and munchies should be avoided. Apart from this avoid raw vegetables and salads unless they are consumed at home where you can wash and clean them thoroughly.
- Avoid having spicy food during the monsoon season. It can lead to skin allergies and irritation.
- Drink enough water, regardless of your activity levels.
- Make sure you wash your hands at regular intervals of time and take a bath more than one time.
- Herbal teas with antibacterial properties are a good idea.
- Keep your home environment free of damp conditions this can promote fungal growth and which can predispose inflammatory reactions for people suffering from asthma or any such respiratory problems during the rainy season. Try and keep your surroundings, neat and clean and preferably dry.
- Accumulated water during the rainy season is one of the biggest reasons to worry as it acts as an open breeding ground for mosquitos. So, make sure you don't let water clogged-in or around your home. Dengue and Malaria claim thousands of lives in the country.
- Use mosquito repellents like liquids/ coils/ sprays to kick mosquitos out. Also, try to carry or wear a mosquito repellent when you're out.
- Consume immune booster like foods ginger, basil, honey, citrus fruits, turmeric, yogurt, oats, and barley .Go for seasonal fruit like litchis, peach, plums, jamuns, and cherries. They provide healthful nutrients and boost our immune system.
- Maintain your blood pressure, it will be better to consume very little salt in meal or else this will increase hypertension . Thus, it is important to avoid those food items that have high amount of salt.
In case you are experiencing any signs and symptoms associated with common monsoon ailments do visit us at Wockhardt Hospital.