Dr. Siddharth Kharkar
MBBS, MD (Neurology) USA
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar has specialized in Neurology with a number of certifications of highly accredited institutions. Dr Siddharth has been awarded with best resident research project coupled with Humanitarian Resident of the Year award and selected for the national “Neurology Residents Scholar Program”. Dr. Siddharth is now associated full time with Wockhardt Hospitals- Mira Road. Achievement:
- Dr Siddharth pursued a 2 year fellowship in Epilepsy at University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), one of the most renowned centers for epilepsy treatment in the world. Recently, he completed a clinical attachment in movement disorders and Parkinson’s disease at King’s college in London, again a world-renowned center for movement disorders.
- Dr. Kharkar was part of the epilepsy faculty at University of Alabama at Birmingham and was in-charge of the epilepsy division at the Veterans Affairs (Ex-Army) hospital at Birmingham. He has published numerous papers in internationally renowned journals, and is on the review board of multiple internationally renowned journals including “Annals of Neurology” and “Neurosurgery”.
- Dr. Kharkar returned back to India after a successful career abroad with the strong desire of serving his fellow countrymen, and an intense motivation to contribute in advancing neurological care and research in India.
- Kharkar S, Knowlton RD: Magnetoencephalography in the presurgical evaluation of epilepsy. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2014 Dec 30. pii: S1525-5050(14)00648-9
- Kharkar S, Rochestie D, Pillai J, Haneef Z: Anti-epileptic Drug Prescription Patterns and Socio-economic status– Seizure. 2014 Apr;23(4):290-4
- Kharkar S, Venkatesh YS, Grothusen JR, Rojas L, Schwartzman RJ. Skin biopsy in complex regional pain syndrome: case series and literature review. Pain Physician. 2012 May-Jun;15(3):255-66.
- Kharkar S, Ambady P, Yedatore YV, Schwartzman RJ: Intramuscular Botulinum Toxin A (BtxA) in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: Case series and Literature Review - Pain Physician. 2011 May;14(3):311-6.
- Kharkar S; Hernandez R; Batra S, Metellus P, Hillis A; Williams MA; Rigamonti D. Cognitive Impairment in patients with Idiopathic Pseudotumor Cerebri Syndrome - Behavioral neurology, 2011 Jan 1;24(2):143-8.
- Metellus P, Batra S, Kharkar S, Kapoor S, Weiss S, Kleinberg L, Rigamonti D. Fractionated conformal radiotherapy in the management of cavernous sinus Meningiomas: long-term functional outcome and Tumor control at a single institution. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Nov 1; 78(3):836-43.
- Kapoor S, Batra S, Carson K, Shuck J, Kharkar S, Gandhi R, Jackson J, Wemmer J, Terezakis S, Shokek O, Kleinberg L, Rigamonti D: Long-Term Outcomes of Vestibular Schwannomas Treated With Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy: An Institutional Experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Sep 29 (epub ahead of print).
- Metellus P, Kapoor S, Kharkar S, Batra S, Jackson JF, Kleinberg L, Miller NR, Rigamonti D. Fractionated Conformal Radiotherapy for Management of Optic Nerve Sheath Meningiomas: Long-Term Outcomes of Tumor Control and Visual Function at a Single Institution. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Apr 16 (epub ahead of print).
- Metellus P, Hsu W, Kharkar S, Kapoor S, Rigamonti D. Percutaneous Placement of Ventriculoatrial Shunt under Ultrasonography Guidance: A Retrospective Study at a Single Institution. Technical note. J Neurosurg 2009 May; 110(5):867-70.
- Kharkar S, Shuck J, Wang P, Rigamonti D, Williams MA: Radionuclide Shunt Patency Study for Evaluation of Suspected Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt Malfunction in Adults with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery 2009 May; 64(5):909-16.
- Williams MA, Thomas G, DeLateur B, Imteyaz H, Rose G, Shore W, Kharkar S, Rigamonti D: Objective Assessment of Gait in Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008 Jan;87(1):39-45.
- Kharkar S, Shuck J, Conway J, Rigamonti D: The natural history of conservatively managed symptomatic intramedullary spinal cord cavernomas. Neurosurgery, 2007 May;60(5):865-72
- Goodwin C, Kharkar S, Wang P, Pujari S, Rigamonti D, Williams MA: Evaluation and treatment of patients with suspected normal pressure hydrocephalus on long term warfarin anticoagulation therapy. Neurosurgery, 2007 Mar;60(3):497-501
- Characteristics and Reversibility of Dementia in Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus: Chaudhry P, Kharkar S, Heidler-Gary J, Hillis AE, Newhart M, Kleinman JT, Davis C, Rigamonti D, Wang P, Irani D, Williams MA, Behav Neurology, 2007;18(3):149-58.
- Metellus P, Kharkar S, Weiss S, Daniele R: Cavernous Sinus Meningiomas: Treatment Strategy in the Stereotactic Irradiation Era: A Review. Neurosurgery Quarterly, 2007 Sep 17:3, 226-234.
- Pillion JP, Kharkar S, Mahmood A, Moser H, Shimizu H: Auditory brainstem response findings and peripheral auditory sensitivity in adrenoleukodystrophy. J Neurol Sci 2006 Sep 25;247(2):130-7.
- Dubey P, Raymond GV, Moser AB, Kharkar S, Bezman L, Moser HW: Adrenal insufficiency in asymptomatic adrenoleukodystrophy patients identified by very long-chain fatty acid screening. J Pediatr 2005 Apr; 146(4):528-32.
• Dr. Siddharth graduated with his MBBS from Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital in the year 2002 scoring first class in all subjects including distinctions. He then obtained his Master in Health Sciences degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
• Dr. Kharkar then pursued post graduate training in Internal Medicine at Washington Hospital Center / Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA. Next, he completed a neurology residency at Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA.
• Epilepsy and seizures, including epilepsy is not well controlled with medications.
• Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders, including those that are not well controlled with medications.
• Stroke (a condition that causes paralysis), treatment of acute stroke and evaluation of young people with stroke.
• Alzheimer’s disease and other memory problems
• Dizziness / Vertigo
Awards & Honors
- Best resident research project Award
- Humanitarian Resident of the Year award
- Selected for the national “Neurology Residents Scholar Program”